Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Lightning Bolt - Wonderful Rainbow






I was a dedicated NEST reader/subscriber for many years. Holtzman was the shit. Beautiful design. Great coverage. Endless energy. Aggressive. I'm gonna say it: The best magazine I've ever subscribed to. Damn.

One edition featured a collective of artists occupying a fully squatted/customized loft in Providence RI. Great photographs, one of an enviable jam space. apparently some of the occupying artists tinker in a little two-man operation called, "Lightning Bolt."

And like NEST being the pinnacle of its niche, for me, Ruins cannot be touched when it comes to the small staff/big noise operation. But there always must be a close second (or first loser)...

This shrrrrreds.

Hear

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was playing this rather loudly at work late one evening after all had gone home. Midway through, a cleaning crew guy comes bounding around the corner with a wide-eyed look wondering what the hell was going on. He thought some machine was on the fritz and was completely dismayed. He couldn't believe people were selling music that sounded like that or that anyone would buy it. Oddly enough, he liked the cover art. Surprised me at the time, but in retrospect, I'm sure he was just trying to say something positive after basically telling me I was listening to broken machine music.

Great to hear Peel's voice, although it instantly reminds of the giant hole left with his passing and how it will never be filled.

czarth said...

They make my eyes spin inside my head.

There is great LB DVD titled "The Power of Salad & Milkshakes".

Andy Fenwick said...

Saw them in 2003 (4?) in a loft in Bed Sty with a slew of other forgottens. Maybe now Ruins rules the roost, but back then, and I saw Ruins too, LB could not, not, not be touched. Mind boggling.

eXTReMe Tracker