Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Ex - Aural Guerilla


So this cross-dressing gothmetaldoom pre-med kid from across the dorm hall who had a microwave oven without a functioning door -- rather the door functioned it's just that the microwave would work without it closed which this dude never did -- in mid-America, 1989ish traded me a stack of records. I threw him a lot of lame Norcal skater HC and he threw me some of his "European" vinyl. He said he didn't get this. Thought it was some nonsense anarcho stuff, a la Crass. I was sucker punched by Fashionation. The bark had so much behind it.

Aural Guerilla is still probably my favorite Ex, though I probably stand alone in that assessment in a universe seduced by Scrabbling at the Lock. My fandom for this probably has more to do with nostalgia than mere content, though it sizzles. Also, it really felt like an olde worlde rendition of that political fuel found in the Minutemen.

Bon Apetit

Hear

3 comments:

Baywatch said...

In a world seduced by Scrabbling and Aural, few give proper props to masterwork Joggers and Smoggers.

not that i'm bitching here. we appreciate the postage.

czarth said...

Aural Guerilla was was my first, via a friend who found it at Camelot Music at the local mall (what?) circa '88-'89. I believe that he snapped it up more for the cover art than any knowledge of the band...little did he suspect the contents therein. Today I see the comparisons/influences a bit more (This Heat, The Pop Group, Savage Republic), but at the time it was a real eye-opener to say the least. I had not heard anything like it. That said, I am probably with Baywatch on the Joggers & Smoggers comment.

ForestRoxx said...

FINE!

eXTReMe Tracker