Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Templeton Twins with Teddy Turner's Bunsen Burners - Trill It Like It Was [1970]


I found this little oddity after an evening of drunken discussion wherein I made asinine statements along the lines of, "I could always hear a little Van Halen in Clear Spot after I discovered Ted Templeton produced it." The next morning found me browsing Ted's production oeuvre over the years. Beyond that brief stint with the Captain and VH, I wasn't that familiar. Amidst many mediocre albums the following stuck out on his wiki page:

"That same year (1970), Templeman recorded what is now considered a cult classic. Using doubletracking, he appeared as "The Templeton Twins" backed by "Teddy Turner & his Bunsen Burners," recording contemporary hits of the time such as "Hey Jude" and "Light My Fire" in a pseudo-1920s style."

My interest piqued, quick research found this long out of print, but "available" out there as a relatively clean vinyl rip. It's quite goofy, dripping with pastiche, but technically very refined and occasionally inspired. Spinning Wheel really stands out for me, as does Everybody's Talkin'.


I'm not certain on the editions released of this album, but I've found a few candidates for album art which I hope covers Baywatch's ecru/chartreuse marble vinyl Swedish version.












(merely because Don was mentioned we must pay tribute with one of his straight up finest ballads. I always thought Nassau era Sea and Cake should have covered this.)


4 comments:

Baywatch said...

Most Excellent!

Mr. Templeton is also notable for his work with that wonderful Santa Cruz band Harper's Bizarre

Phillip said...

This solves a long-held mystery. Many thanks.

I still wonder who was in the band, however. All the players sound like eager participants in this hilarious experiment...

Matt Blick said...

You beauty!

I've been looking for this all over the net. A work of genius

What a crime that it's out of print...

Oskarovich said...

Great!!! Thank you Mister!

eXTReMe Tracker