Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Legendary Marvin Pontiac - Greatest Hits [2000]


Playing a card off Baywatch's stack, here is a slice from John Lurie's one-off under the pseudonym of Marvin Pontiac. Released at the turn of the century, one of my housemates at the time picked it up and listened to it fairly regularly. I was intrigued by random samples of it as I went about my day, but whenever I would sit down and listen to the entirety I was always a bit put off. The experience was somewhat like looking at the Seven Sisters of Pleiades: whenever it was bouncing on the periphery it was engaging, but when I stared straight at it, something disappeared. Lurie's ever-present jokey atmosphere just didn't have me laughing then. With folks like Marc Ribot and Bill Ware on board, I kept giving this album chances and over time it beat me down. I'm now a disciple of Marvin.


Join the monastery.


Lurie is so respected the allmusic guide allows Marvin Pontiac an artist listing.

1 comment:

Curry Favor said...

Way to score the follow-up jumper, Balustrade!

Much appreciated

eXTReMe Tracker