Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Figgs - Low Fi at Society High





music emmissions: No justice, that's what I say. The Figgs still remain relatively unknown after 4 outstanding albums on as many labels. Low Fi at Society High was their first and, in my opinion, their best. With the opening track, "Step back and let's go pop", blasting out of the speakers you just know you're in for a joyous power pop ride. The ride slows down a bit in a few spots but mostly it's just straight ahead power pop fun. If you can find this album I would suggest buying it. I have had it since it came out and I never tire of it. Figgs, if you read this, please come and play live in Calgary. Thanks.

silver platters: Recorded at Dreamland Studios, Woodstock, New York in February 1994.

Bratty ambitious power popsters The Figgs have released an album reminiscent of the glory days of the early Replacements and Buzzcocks.

Excelling with above-average musicianship and deliciously crafted pop attacks, LOW-FI AT SOCIETY HIGH is on the dean's list of college rock. Dueling guitarists Mike Gent and Guy Lions pirouette manically off Pete Donnelly's Paul McCartney-esque bass lines, while both Gent and Donnelly's vocals and lyrics harken back to Elvis Costello's cynicism workshops.

The Figgs's songs range from the joyously dumb "Chevy Nova" to the happily self-aware "Step Back And Let's Go Pop." As songwriters and arrangers they're intelligent enough to be aware of pop's fickle tendencies.


Spin (9/94, p.139) - Highly Recommended - "...displays just the kind of overcaffeinated charm that made anti-heartthrobs out of Elvis Costello and Joe Jackson..."

Alternative Press (9/94, p.71) - "...LOW-FI AT SOCIETY HIGH is a fun double-time for the listener and all involved in the project..."

Piero Scaruffi Says... (in italian too!)

The Eagle Says...



rocky says: this is my all time favorite figgs record. Sparkling powerpop. Pristine Melody. Nonstop Smartness. This is the kind of band I always dreamed about being in, though I never really had it in me to do so. I once said something about this record over here. But I figgered if Curry had his figgs record up, I might as well get my licks in, too.

I love their lyrics. I love their drumming. I love their basslines. I love their economy. I love their structures. I love their melodies. I love their straight-ahead. I love their guitar textures. I love their left-channel/right-channel guitar interplay.

Did I mention how much I love their lyrics? Try topping "Wasted Pretty" or "Stood Up" or "Jump Start" "Favorite Shirt" or "Waltz for Bob" or "Cherry Blow Pop." Just try it...

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker