Monday, June 7, 2010

Grateful Dead - American Beauty



I've been unable to exorcise this record from my heavy rotation for the past few weeks. Something about summer and a heretofore under appreciated Dead studio record. On the advice of a trusted comrade and once stalwart committed head, I've dedicated the majority of my listenings to the live boots. I'm late to the Dead thing, having shun it in it's 2.0 and 3.0 versions in the 80s/90s due largely to the caliber hombre who called it their own. Confirmed: I can dick-out like that. The 80s burb hardcore kid in me wanted to take the jackboot to the peace/love/cardiologist daddy sect.

Okay so now I'm a straight 40, still kinda angry, kinda hypertensive, with kid and home and cat and an old car... I've been left with no alternatives - embrace it.

This record came out not too long after me and many of my friends were born. I won't claim that this has any cosmic significance other than to be a screen cap for the time.

All in all it's pretty much a brilliant record if only on the merits of Ripple alone.

Garcia hung on my wall as a young young kid. Just thought he looked wild and scary. Call it a full circle jerk?

Allmusic.com:A companion piece to the luminous Workingman's Dead, American Beauty is an even stronger document of the Grateful Dead's return to their musical roots. Sporting a more full-bodied and intricate sound than its predecessor thanks to the addition of subtle electric textures, the record is also more representative of the group as a collective unit, allowing for stunning contributions from Phil Lesh (the poignant opener, "Box of Rain") and Bob Weir ("Sugar Magnolia"); at the top of his game as well is Jerry Garcia, who delivers the superb "Friend of the Devil," "Candyman," and "Ripple." Climaxing with the perennial "Truckin'," American Beauty remains the Dead's studio masterpiece -- never again would they be so musically focused or so emotionally direct.


HEAR


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was in a band that covered Friend of the Devil. That tune haunted me ever since.

balustrade said...

3 things:

1) though trust fund hippies can be incredibly annoying, they can also be fun to party with, esp. on their dime.

2) two former Portland record store jockeys have both affirmed to me that Richard Meltzer used to come in and buy nothing but rereleased Dead bootlegs. Yes, that Richard Meltzer.

3) always drink from the true chalice, not the dragon chalice.

ForestRoxx said...

Got chills w your Meltzer story. Love that guy. Total hero material. Weren't the minutemen lined up to do a collaboration with RM when D died? Guess RM used to jam with some dudes who later became the Angry Samoans. That's so perfect.

Re #3 that's been my guiding principle

Word verification: outkine

Anonymous said...

His nephew is professional wrestler Dave Meltzer, so there's that too.

Arlopop

Katy said...

I just listened to American Beauty for the first time. It is such an amazing album!

eXTReMe Tracker