Saturday, June 12, 2010

Fred Wesley And The J.B.'s - Damn Right I Am Somebody

My car trips tend to be short and so the ipod never gets its due. As a result I tend to stick to my subscription audio. My preference of late while cruising in my automobile is the funky and soulful Soul Town channel on Sirius/XM.

The other day as I delivered my boy to his preschool a piece of this beast spun up and I pulled over to the side of the road to let the track finish and give my boy a better education than anything he would have received in "circle time." The sinuous groove was greasy and unrelenting. My kid got funkier than any little aryan has a right to be in a carseat. All was right with the world.

'Firm it.

All Music:

Damn Right I Am Somebody captures the J.B.'s at the apex of their extraordinary powers. This James Brown-produced set is both their most fiercely polemical and their most musically daring, incorporating otherworldly electronic elements, eccentric time and rhythm shifts, and idiosyncratic studio effects to brilliantly articulate the increasing turmoil and insanity of the times. It's quite possibly the most challenging record ever released under the Brown aegis, favoring open-ended grooves and epic solos rooted in avant-jazz. The rhythms remain surgically precise and hypnotically intense, however, and every cut here, from the funk juggernaut "I'm Payin' Taxes, What Am I Buyin'?" to the righteously mellow "Same Beat," is a marvel. This is funk at its heaviest — musically, yes, but intellectually as well.

Hear

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker