Monday, December 22, 2008

Various Artists - Our Band Could Be Your Life : Tribute to D Boon and the Minutemen



Remember where you were when you heard that D Boon had died?

I thought I had known Bad Christmases before 1985, but all of that old school intrafamilialcidal hullabaloo couldn't hold a candle to the shock of the demise of the First Harbinger of Hope I had ever known, even if I hadn't realized his significance as such at the time.

Sounds shallow now, Sure, but the death of D Boon even prompted me to write a piece for the high school newspaper. And this being The Very Then Me, a determined Man who reflexively thumbed his nose at all public organs, The Fourth Estate included.

Self-hater to the Core. Stupid moi that I don't have it at hand. I'm certain it sucks but it's the thought that counts. At least I recall the editor (Mr. Brown) saying to me, "Banks, you must really have liked these guys!" ON the tip of my tongue was the no-shit-Sherlock-varietal-of-the-day, but I held fast and simply nodded. The important thing was that it made the cut. Was read and regarded by my peers.

Year One. Yes, I remember well how we mourned that very first December 22th, way back in 1986. It was pretty much the Krafty Lovelordz and the Drippy Bog and our friends and some Milwaukee's Best back in my bedroom at 22 N. Madison, LaGrange, IL. We were all there because we loved their music like life itself. We cranked it to no end and toasted like there was no tomorrow. But we were still in shock, and essentially speaking, still somewhat oblivious to the loss of D Boon, a loss which only grows greater and deeper as these decades cease to pass.

Personally, I know that the only reason I was ever in a band to begin with was because of the Minutemen. Sure, there were other bands before the Minutemen that made me feel less self-conscious about the prospect of picking up an instrument, but it was entirely the Minutemen who made me understand that it was a downright obligation to

LET YOURSELF BE HEARD!


Enough Blathering Already. Honestly, I don't think that the album you can d/l below is one of the very best albums of all time. (But it's a compilation album so it's already got that going against it). However, I will still tooth-n-nail contend that there are a number of spectacular cuts on this altruistically unblemished effort.

Ballot Result. And really, despite all the cool names enumerated below, the reason I proffer this album on the occasion of the 23rd anniversary of D Boon's passing is because, once again, it's the thought (and no less, the action), that counts, and I don't doubt that all of these folks dug the Minutemen the way I did and do, and eagerly offered to play these songs as a way of mildly ameliorating their eternally ephemeral psychic debt.

Get Some Religions. Sometimes it strikes me weird, when I think of how I think of D Boon now, and when I say weird, I mean weird in a way that almost makes me understand why some people go and start up messianic cults or mainstream religions. For if I was to start up a Personal Pantheon of Pathos, this dearly beloved motherfucker would be right at the top.

His songs were like Bob Dylan to me. So if you've read all this way but still don't know what I'm talking about, then, please, pretty please. Go out and treat yourself to Double Nickels on The Dime.

Yes, This Holiday Season, Go Buy Double Nickels On The Dime! (nigh on Four Stars from the Rolling Stone!), you lovely anxious mo-fo you.

Preaching to the Converted. But if you do know what I'm talking about (i.e., about D Boon being Jesus and all), and maybe are or are not familiar with the fine effort below, please (re) consider. Because even if it's not the way you would have done it, it's still an amazing array of talent and heart and soul and sweat dedicated to a single cause, a shared purpose, a meaningful memory...


1. Sparkalepsy-King of the Hill
2.Seam-This Ain't No Picnic
3.Overpass-Fake Contest
4. Hazel-Storm in my House
5. Nuzzle-Futurism Restated
6. Oswald Five-O-Tony Gets Wasted in Pedro
7. Joe Boon & Tony Platon-Sickles and Hammers
8. The Brain Surgeons-Tour-Spiel
9. The 3M Company-Search
10. Treepeople-Shit from an Old Notebook
11. Vida-'99
12. Ethan James & Cindy Albon-Themselves
13. Tsunami-Courage
14. Cellophane-More Joy
15. Strawman-Untitled Song for Latin America
16.Meat Puppets-Price of Paradise
17. Crackerbash-The World According to Nouns
18. Nels Cline Trio-Self-Referenced/West Germany
19. Dos-Do You Want New Wave Or Do You Want the Truth?
20. Experimental Pollen #68-Games
21. Overwhelming Colorfast-Corona
22. Free Kitten-Party with Me Punker
23. Jawbox-It's Expected I'm Gone
24. Locos Borachos-The Product
25. Thurston Moore-Shit You Hear at Parties
26. Joe Baiza-9:30 May 2
27. 67 Riot-Case Closed
28. Kaia-Stories
29. Unwound-Plight
30. The Meices-Political Song for Michael Jackson to Sing
31. Blowout-Times
32. Corduroy-Cut
33. Lou Barlow-Black Sheep

34. D Boon Interview
35. Minutemen (live)-Badges

!

2 comments:

Frank Gill said...

The Brain Surgeons track, featuring Al Bouchard of Blue Oyster Cult, is one of favorite covers in the history of covers. Thanks for the post.

Colby said...

If you are still near the Chicago area, please come to Lincoln Hall on 2/20/11 to check out a project I'm in called, Econoline. We're performing Double Nickels on the Dime in it's entirety, with a plethora of cool guest singers. It's a benefit show for the amazing Girls Rock! Chicago organization.
*Party with me punker!*

eXTReMe Tracker