Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Minutemen - Paranoid Time


In honor of D's tragic passing 25 years ago this week, the first sounds from the Minutemen.

I first heard this entire 7" over lunchtime on the great WNUR, circa 1982. I think I was home "sick" from school, a wire coathanger rigged to my boombox to capture the sweet sounds from Evanston. This was a defining moment. I was intimidated, fascinated, scared, aroused, lost, pummeled by this. This 7" still takes me back to that sick day, a day where something changed. No more beauty have the words "what the fuck" assumed in my life than when they came out of my head that day. Just the right rx for an inexplicably pissed suburban white kid.

________________


Allmusic.com:
Minutemen's debut EP Paranoid Time is a startlingly coherent set of primal minimalism -- a cross between Californian hardcore punk and the succinct experimentalism of Wire. It speeds by too quickly for any particular song to stand out, but the band's terse, frenetic energy is invigorating, as are their imaginative ideas.

HEAR

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker