Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Steve Miller Band - Sailor

Let me preface this by saying I loathe Steve Miller. My teen years were spent desperately avoiding the craptacular output of this guy. And it only got worse as we slipped into the 80s and were forced to endure the remarkably hideous (even for him) Abracadabra.

So imagine my surprise when I hit upon this. I heard the exquisite Quicksilver Girl for the first time recently and when I discovered it was actually the dreaded Miller my reaction was, "Steve Miller?! I fucking hate Steve Miller! How the fuck can this be Steve Miller?!" Call me late to the party, but this album is (for the most part) a revelation. Recorded in 67, Sailor is a real gem that holds wonderous surprises. It's a weird mix of styles that is reminiscent of early Pink Floyd, some VU, and even the Beach Boys.

Enjoy the above mentioned Quicksilver Girl, the delicate Dear Mary, and the oh so period, bonghit soundtracker, Song For Our Ancestors.

I guess even pigs find an acorn once in a while.

Hear

3 comments:

Jerry Orbach said...

God, I had the same exact experience.

Steve Miller Band Fans said...

mmmmmmm..... Acorns......

Anonymous said...

this is a perfect review of this record.

eXTReMe Tracker