Monday, August 2, 2010

Gunhill Road - Gunhill Road

I had never heard "Back When My Hair Was Short" despite my advanced age. This morning it rolled out of my radio and I immediately assumed it was something recent, perhaps from Sloan.

Gunhill Road was a trio of popsters whose second album in 1972 was produced by Kenny Rogers. It included their only hit.

The song has a mildly subversive element to it and is pretty clever. I did some hunting around and discovered that it was once much more subversive, but was re-recorded with different (and more radio friendly) lyrics because in 1973 Mercury wanted to put it out as a single. Once it became a hit they re-pressed the lp and pulled the existing versions. Very rare indeed, and despite my efforts I was unable to come up with one of the original pressings.

The original lyrics were:

Back when my hair was short
I was a white sock sport,
Only beer parties till three.
College appealed to me,
eastern philosophy
Feeding my mind.
LSD, THC, STP

I was into a heavy scene,
reading screw magazines,
Seeing three concerts a week
An honest to god hippie freak,
too busy eating to speak

Except about Love
I knew all kinds of Love,
Love of a man for his brother,
And love to rip off one another,
while screaming right on!

Back when my hair was short

before I'd been to court,
for selling dope to some kids,
Only a couple of lids,

they stood around and made bids

And talked about Love,
they were experts on Love,
Love of a man for his vision,
and Love to make no real decisions

when they're called upon

Soon when my hair is short
I'll make a full report,
Of how I came back alive,
And what it takes to survive,
wringing the truth out of jive

I'll tell you of Love,
I knew all kinds of Love,
Love of a man for his neighbor,
and Love to put nails in your savior,
then cry when he's gone.


If anyone can find the 72 pressing let us know. In the meantime, satisfy yourself with this version. The rest of the LP is interesting and, though not nearly as blatantly undermining as the hit, still maintains a sense of mischief. Try She Made A Man Out Of Me.

Hear

2 comments:

Lara said...

hey there! Thanks for posting that King Khan and the Shrines album.
You have nice blog going on here;
want to trade links?

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkGONmPyf8E

eXTReMe Tracker