Saturday, December 5, 2009

Starpower - The Petting Zoo

A friend/filmmaker/musicman (Shaka King aka Mauby Bitters) e-mailed me U.K. producer Bullion's Beach Boy's/J. Dilla-inspired instrumental mash-up ("Pet Sounds: In The Key of Dee") knowing that I was the one person in the world who could make outstanding, unique songs out of these extraordinary and unusually short musical compositions.

So a few months later I sat down in front of my computer for about a full workday, and wrote each song. I then took them to the studio, and with the help of Mercury, recorded all of them in about 4 hours. He mixed them the next day, Cavalier created a cover, and I just decided to hand all of my triumphs, vulnerabilities, and perspectives over to the world with no disclaimers. It all took less than a week to go from creation to dispersal.

The result is a 22 minute album (or mixtape, if you will) that sounds like the soundtrack to someone's very intimate autobiography - mine. Twelve deeply personal, hilarious, inappropriate, emotional, unforgiving quirky narratives. Ridiculous stories, true stories, scathing social commentary, fantasies, braggadocio, reflections, apologies, it's all there with no filter or discretion. The response has been far greater than I imagined it would be, I hope we can continue this movement by telling a friend or a stranger. Y'all just go ahead and download the sh-t out of this album, please. Thank you and peace.

-StarPower


HEAR

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker