Friday, March 27, 2009

Shocking Pinks - Shocking Pinks (2007)


I’m an Old Early New Order (and JMC) fan from way back in the day, so this Shocking Pinks record had me at GO. But I kept putting off putting it up here in the FOREST, because I wanted to avoid the inevitable lengthy apologist approach, only to find that I’ve gotten to the point now where I’m good with that. Fuck You either like or don’t. Me, we likes. And here’s my apology anyway: I say, Yeah Sure, this guy wears his influences on his sleeve, but his sleeves are really very well-tailored. (Special Thanks to Mr. Gallo for the tip on this here sweet titty treat.)

Allmusic: It's easy to hear why Nick Harte's band name was inspired by Pretty in Pink's teen angst; he can sing "fuck" and sound completely innocent, or [croon] "you make me feel bad" like it's the most romantic [fucking sentiment] ever.

Shocking Pinks' brittle, noisy production also harks back to the golden age of college rock in the late '80s and early '90s; in the best possible way, it often sounds like an ancient cassette that has spent years buried in the glove box.

In classic indie fashion, Harte balances out the rough-edged but piercing beauty of some songs [CHECK OUT "This Aching Deal", "Girl on the Northern Line", "I Want U Back", and "You Can Make Me Feel Bad"] with others that take willful tangents, such as "Yes! No!" ["Smokescreen"]

Crucially, though, it doesn't feel like Harte is mimicking his influences so much as finding his own ways of embodying them.




No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker